How to Remotely access a Mac from a Mac using Screen Sharing
- From Apple menu, click System Preferences...
- Click the Sharing icon.
- Note the Computer Name at the top of the Sharing pane. It should be in tag number of the Mac as in tagxxxxxx.
- If it is not, change the Computer Name to the tag number and restart the Mac. Return to the Sharing pane of System Preferences.
- Check the option Screen Sharing.
To the right of the Screen Sharing text, the status icon should now be green status.
- Note the address of the computer listed in the text in the status area. It will be something like vnc://tagxxxxxx.jck.txstate.edu
- In the Allow access for section, select All users or switch to Only these users and click the + button to add the users.
On the other Mac computer (typically the one off campus):
- If accessing from off campus, connect to TXST VPN.
- In the Finder, select the Go menu and Connect to Server...
- Enter the address of the office Mac computer to be accessed remotely using vnc:// as the prefix as in: Example: vnc://tagxxxx.jck.txstate.edu
- Click the + plus button to add the connection to the list.
- Click Connect.
- Enter an account name and password for the remote Mac to login and use it.
Congratulations! You have successfully setup remote access.
A window will appear showing the desktop of the remote Mac. You will be able to use it like you were physically sitting in front of it.