Remote Learning and Collaborating Resources for Students
last updated: 08/16/2020
Texas State Alerts and Updates
- See the latest TXST Statements and Resources on COVID-19
- The Get Ready section has been updated with computer and system requirements to use core learning tools such as Canvas, Zoom, and Microsoft 365.
- Texas State and IBM have partnered to allow Students to install SPSS Statistics onto personal computers.
The IT Division delivers and ITAC supports a variety of services to connect you with classmates, faculty, and staff, so teaching and learning will be uninterrupted.
- Laptop or desktop computer
- Webcam with microphone
- Secure Internet connection
- Minimum bandwidth is 600 kbps (up/down) and recommended is 1.5 mbps (up/down). Go to speedtest.net to check your speed.
- Broadband minimum for mobile devices is 3G or 4G/LTE.
- Smartphone, tablet, or telephone (for Duo)
- Also see TXST discounts on iPads and consider a cellular plan for your iPad.
- U.S. providers offer free Wi-Fi for 60 days
- Spectrum offers free Internet for Students for two months
- Carriers suspend Internet data caps during Coronavirus
- Internet providers pledge to “Keep Americans Connected” during the COVID-19 crisis
- Broadband, Wireless Industries Pledge to Keep a ‘Social Distancing’ Nation Connected
- AT&T Suspends Broadband Data Caps During Coronavirus Crisis
- Verizon’s networks stand ready for increases in data traffic
- Comcast Announces Comprehensive COVID-19 Response to Help Keep Americans Connected to the Internet
- Helpful Tips to Improve Your Internet
Get setup with these tools and services:
- Update your laptop or desktop to the latest operating system.
- Install and run anti-virus software for Windows and Mac.
- Install Microsoft 365.
- Install Teams.
- Store files in OneDrive.
- Install Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (PDFs).
- Install SPSS Statistics for Students.
- Install the Zoom desktop and mobile apps.
- Install the Texas State Mobile app.
- Install the TRACS Mobile app.
- Install the Canvas Student app.
- Install and setup the Duo Mobile app (Student Employees).
- Sign up for TXST Alerts.
- Also see our software catalog.
Being prepared ahead of time will help you flawlessly transition from the physical classroom to online classes. Now, you're ready to learn from virtually anywhere!
- Send and receive email via Outlook for Windows or Mac.
- Send and receive chat messages via Teams.
- Learn to use a variety of software and tools with LinkedIn Learning.
- Use additional IT software and services available to TXST Students.
- Keep up with University Libraries remote resources and library access.
- Watch our new Getting Started with Zoom recorded session.
- Learn how Zoom is supporting teaching and learning during COVID-19.